Πέμπτη, Απριλίου 24, 2008

Mark Knopfler live @ Hovet, Stockholm



I've been a fan of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler's unique guitar sound since I was old enough to stop soiling myself (not so long ago). This is the music I grew up with and it was a standard to which all other artists had to measure up - very few did, I'm a regular fanboy.

Being that through the glory days of Dire Straits stardom I wasn't old enough to travel on my own to another city/country to see them live, I've missed all of the legendary sold-out tours. Yesterday, though, it was my lucky day. MK was playing live at Stockholm's Hovet, promoting his new solo album "Kill to Get Crimson".



MK played only a couple of songs from "Kill to Get Crimson" (a really slow-paced album) and the rest of the setlist was work from previous solo and Straits albums. Of course there was "Sultans of Swing", which was played in the "best lineup for this song" - 2 guitars, a bass guitar and drums. My favourite moment of the concert - "Telegraph Road". The full 14-min version. Simply awesome.

The sound was particularly good. No distortion, no excessive bass, almost all instruments were heard loud and clear. Of course, it can't size up to Roger Water's surround speakers all around Terra Vibe (Athens, Greece), but I'd say it's the next best thing. Excellent work.

What I was delighted to find is that MK is the same fantastic musician both at live and studio recordings. I always had a fear that upon watching Knopfler live I'd be somewhat disappointed - but thank God everything was perfect.

OK, not perfect. I _really_ wanted to hear "Six blade knife" live, but nevermind that... :)

To sum up: a dream was realised. Thank you MK. You just made my year.

And in case I haven't made it very clear: IT WAS AWESOME!

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: